Monday 30 April 2012

Caribbean Fish Pie



Wow. That's all I can say about this dish - I absolutely loved it! I don't know about you, but I get so bored with the usual fish pie, that I rarely make it these days. I was reading a forum where fish pies were being discussed, and all were based on a white/parsley sauce until someone mentioned this one and it caught my attention. They didn't give a recipe, just a rough idea of what went in it so I had to play about a bit. It was perfect though, I cannot wait to have it again! There are no spices in it, so the kids all enjoyed it too. Let me know what you think, if you try this recipe! Id love to know.

About 500g of fish (I used salmon, haddock & coley)
600ml milk
Carton of coconut cream (I found it in Morrisons in the Chinese section)
90g baby spinach
Thyme leaves
Chopped coriander
75g butter
2 tablespoons flour
800g sweet potatoes
Teaspoon lime juice
Pinch of ground nutmeg

Peel & chop the sweet potatoes, then boil for around 10 minutes until they are ready to mash. Add about 30g butter and the pinch of nutmeg and mash.

Warm the milk & thyme in a saucepan, when it starts to bubble add the fish & turn off the heat. After 5 minutes, remove the fish from the milk and put into a pie dish/casserole dish.

Melt 25g butter and then add the flour to make a roux, cook for a few mins on a low heat, then add the milk a little at a time until its all mixed in. Add the coconut cream, coriander, lime juice, and spinach. Warm until the spinach wilts, then pour all the mixture over the fish. Top with the mashed sweet potato, dot with butter and put in the oven at 180c for around 20/25 mins. I served it with baby corn & mange tout.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen. Thanks for this recipe. It was a brilliant success. Used pollack chunks, cod amd smoked haddock. (don't really like salmon). Was a little surprised to discover that the coconut cream was solid (well.. if i had half a brain I would be dangerous..lol) and wasn't too sure of how much to put in so used the "Taste and see" method.Anyway the recipe was really tasty and thoroughly enjoyed y all, Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it! It is one of my absolutely favourite recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little cuz Jules x30 November 2012 at 10:29

    Fab, will def be trying this later, I do mine with pollock, smoked whiting, prawns and peas in cheese sauce and mashed sweet potato on top :)

    ReplyDelete