Tuesday 17 April 2012

Chicken & CousCous one-pot

This was a very easy and very tasty meal. I like one-pot meals (less washing up!) and are usually quick & simple to put together. I loved the smell of this as it came out of the oven, and the colours are wonderful - I like pretty food. I have started to grow my own herbs, and it is so satisfying going out into the garden to pick fresh herbs for my dishes. I need to add basil & coriander to my patch though, as I use these a lot and havent had much success with growing them. Maybe someone out there has some tips?

Everyone enjoyed this dish, so I will make it again. The kids even enjoyed the couscous, which surprised me. Big Bee took the leftovers in her packed lunch the next day.


Origianl recpe here. I changed it slightly to suit my ingerdients, which worked brilliantly.

Ingredients

  • 8 skin on, chicken drumsticks
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tbsp garam masala
  • 2 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 2 onions , finely sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves , sliced
  • 500ml chicken stock (from a cube is fine)
  • zest and juice 1 lemon
  • 250g couscous
  • small bunch flat-leaf parsley , chopped 

  1. Toss the chicken  in half the spices and a pinch of salt until completely coated. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large sauté pan with a lid. Fry chicken, skin-side down, for 10 mins until golden brown, turn over, then cook for 2 mins before removing from the pan. Pour the rest of the oil into the pan, then fry the onions and garlic for 8 mins until golden. Stir in the rest of the spices, then cook for 1 min longer. Pour over the chicken stock. Bring everything to the boil, turn down the heat, then sit the chicken in the stock.
  2. Cover the pan with a lid, then simmer gently for 35-40 mins until the chicken is tender. Put the kettle on, then lift the chicken onto a plate and keep warm. Take the pan off the heat. Stir the lemon juice and couscous into the saucy onions in the pan and top up with enough boiling water just to cover the couscous if you need to. Place the lid back on the pan, then leave to stand for 5 mins until the couscous is cooked through. Fluff through half the parsley and the lemon zest, then sit the chicken on top. Scatter with the rest of the parsley and zest before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure about coriander as I haven't tried growing it yet but I've had great success growing basil in my kitchen, just on the windowsill. I know it can be grown outside but in the past it has never survived.
    Love the recipe by the way, going to give it a go when we're back from hols but might have to change it to boneless chicken thighs, hubbies got a thing about meat with bones xXx

    ReplyDelete