Sunday 15 April 2012

Pan-fried chicken in a mushroom sauce

I have been waiting to make this recipe for a few days now - I loved the sound of it as soon as I found it. Well, it stood up to my expectations! I had been looking for a recipe for using up some chicken thighs, and found this on the Good Food website. I adapted it slightly, as I couldnt get hold of wild mushrooms. I also only had chicken thighs, and the recipe calls for whole legs. Everyone loved it, 5 absolutely clean plates. Little Bee doesnt like mushrooms, so I served hers without the actual mushrooms but still with plenty of sauce which she enjoyed. I served this with just boiled new potatoes, which was perfect to dip into the sauce. This is on my list to have again, I would love to serve this at a dinner party/grown-up meal.


Ingredients

  • 2 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 10 chicken thighs
  • 700ml/1¼ pts chicken stock (or water)
  • 40g butter
  • 1 onion , finely diced
  • 400g chesnut mushrooms
  • 300ml/½ pt dry white wine
  • 284ml pot double cream
  1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Fry the thighs for 8-10 mins, skin side only, until golden brown, then transfer to a casserole dish.
  2. Pour the stock over the chicken legs in the casserole. There should be enough stock to just cover the chicken, if not add a little water. Bring stock to the boil and cover, leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook at just below simmering point for 30-35 mins until chicken is cooked.
  3. While chicken is simmering, drain oil from the pan. Heat the butter in pan and add onion. Sweat onion for 5 mins until soft, but not coloured. Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms, then fry for 3 mins until they soften and start to smell wonderful. Pour over the white wine, raise the heat to maximum and boil rapidly for 6-8 mins until reduced by two-thirds. Turn off the heat and leave until chicken has cooked.
  4. Once chicken legs are cooked, remove the chicken from to stock to a warm plate. To the stock, add the onion, mushrooms and white wine, bring back to the boil and reduce again by two-thirds until it is thick and syrupy. Pour in double cream, bring it to the boil, season if you want, add the chicken. Heat chicken through in the sauce for 2-3 mins then turn off the heat and leave for a few mins before serving. This is such an aromatic and beautiful looking dish you should serve it straight from the casserole with the lid on. Orginal recipe here.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I absolutely love chestnuts - my kids don't - but I just eat all theirs to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had all of Little Bee's, as she didnt want them - certainly wasnt letting them go to waste!

      Delete
  2. Sounds yum - I did a Hugh FW chicken casserole this evening from River Cottage Everyday - will be posting shortly... always like comparing notes with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have the Veg Everyday book - is the meat version worth getting too?

      Delete
  3. This sounds so good. Cream sauces are definitely my weakness.

    ReplyDelete