I really fancied BBQ beans, but not the tinned variety! I found a really quick & easy recipe on the BBC Good Food website. We had them in baked potatoes. I can't wait to have a BBQ, these will definitely feature as a side dish. I will probably double the recipe though, as this just fed 5 of us. These dont taste like tinned/Heinz variety BBQ beans, the sauce is thicker and the flavour more intense - lovely!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 tbsp white or red wine vinegar
- 1 heaped tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 x 300g tin pinto beans , drained and rinsed (or any other bean that you like)
- 500ml tub passata
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce or vegetarian alternative (optional)
Heat the oil, then fry the onion until it is soft & golden. Add the garlic & fry for another minute. Tip in the vingar, add the sugar & fry soflty until the onions caramelise. Add the rest of the ingredients & simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.