Saturday 19 May 2012

Cookig Tips - Your Storecupboard Essentials

I saw this question posed on a forum that I use, so thought it might be a useful post to blog. This is just what I personally think is essential for the cooking I do, please feel free to discuss or add your own in the comments section. I have many many more herbs/spices tec than listed here, but these are the ones I think most cooks would need.

Dried Herbs
Oregano
Mixed Italian Herbs
Basil
Tarragon
Bay leaves

Spices
A curry blend (whichever one you prefer, I have madras/korma)
Mild curry powder
Chilli powder
Whole cumin
Ground cumin
Ground corriander
Tumeric
Cinnamon
Mixed spice
Nutmeg
Garam masala

Condiments
Worcestershire sauce
Soy sauce
Balsamic vinegar
Rice wine vinegar
Tomato ketchup (yes, I do use this in some of my recipes)
Wine for cooking

Others
Stock cubes (chicken/beef/veg)
Cornflour
Rock salt
Pepper
Sugar
Honey
Eggs
Plain flour
Self-raising flour
Baking powder
Pasta
Passata
Tinned tomatoes
Tomato puree
Garlic
Ginger (keep this whole in your freezer, and grate as/when needed without having to defrost first!)
Veg oil
Olive oil
Butter
Onion


5 comments:

  1. Add in onions and soy sauce.
    My cupboard is bursting under the weight of all kinds of things.
    It's great, I can make a pretty obscure curry without shopping, but I'm not sure how essential they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soy sauce is in there already, I'll add onions. I have a massive herb/spice collection, but I think basic/everyday essentials are those posted above. I may one day blog about those!

      Delete
  2. I'll definitely be referring to this list when I finally move into my own house (I notice us Jen's keep ending up on the same blog :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was confused! I think my list would be fairly similar, although I'd include all my baking stuff I think - bread flour, yeast, decent dark choc (Green & Blacks or Divine) for those urgent brownie baking sessions

    ReplyDelete