Thursday 31 May 2012

Pork, sage and apple burgers



These burgers taste great! Everyone has asked me to cook them again, but I think I will try them on the barbeque next time. I chilled these in the fridge for an hour or so before cooking, I find this really helps them to keep their shape whilst cooking. I cooked mine under the grill, but you could fry them if you like. I served our burgers with a lovely Scottish delicacy - Potato Fritters! I can also post the recipe, just request it in the comments. The caramlised onions definitely add to the aoverall flavour, so dont skip those! Apparently, these are popular at Belfast's Graffiti restaurant.


  • 900g minced pork
  • 1 onion , finely chopped
  • 1 cooking apple , peeled and finely grated
  • 1 egg
  • handful sage

CARAMELISED ONION

  • 3 onions , sliced
  • 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
  • butter


 To caramelise the onions, cook them with the sugar and a large knob of butter over a very gentle heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, mix all the burger ingredients together in a bowl and season well. Shape into four burgers, then fry over a medium heat for 6-7 minutes each side until cooked in the middle.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Jen, I'd love people to read, but really, the blog is for me, and to stop me boring folk to death with me wittering on about food.

    I've got pork mince to make a Vietnamese noodle dish, but had wondered about doing king rib instead, and now I'm thinking about this.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. King Ribs are on my list to try! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. can smell those burgers from here...

    ReplyDelete