Wednesday 27 June 2012

Pork Belly Slices & Roasted Fennel

These were deliciously crispy! I have always eyed up the pork belly in the supermarket, but never knew what to do with it. It is so cheap, I was determined to try it somehow. I decided to just roast it after marinatating it for an hour or so. I also had some fennel I had picked up, another food that I was determined to try. It smells very much like aniseed, so I was worried I wasnt going to like it - but I was wrong. Roasting it brought out a wonderful nutty flavour which I loved.

Pork Belly (you could use this marinade for a whole pork belly too)

7 or 8 pork belly slices
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 teaspoons chinese 5 spice
3 crushed garlic cloves
1 tsp sea salt

Mix all the ingredients together & marinadethe pork for at least an hour. Then preheat the oven to 220c and lay the pork belly out on a roasting tray. Put into the oven for 10 minutes, then drop the temp to 180 and cook for another 10 mins.

Roasted Fennel

1 whole fennel
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Cut the fennel into wedges, then coat in the oil/vinegar mix. Sprinkle with salt and place on a roasting tray & pop into teh oven for about 40 minutes at about 220c.

1 comment:

  1. I saw this pic on my blog roll and my mouth started to water. I love pork belly. And the fennel sounds delicious. Not sure I've ever roasted it - I did put it in a risotto on Monday evening. I'ts good that way too.

    ReplyDelete